Prayer needs a template. I am using a template, to write this blog. In order to build a strong day-to-day prayer life, you need a template.
That is what the Lord’s Prayer is.
Many years ago, I learned that rabbis taught topically. When Jesus taught about prayer in the Sermon on the Mount, He taught by topics. I’ve been praying these 5 topics almost daily for years.
The Lord’s prayer is a “Model Prayer.” It contains 5 “fingers” in the hand of God. It is not simply to be repeated, it is to be understood. It's OK to repeat the prayer. I lead my family devotions every day. We have a time to bring our requests to God. Then we always end with repeating the Lord's prayer in unity together. But in order to safe guard against vain repetition, we need to gain a fuller revelation of each topic. The following is the short version to stimulate your appetite :)
1. “Hallowed Be Your Name”: (ADORATION)
• Notice that it does not start with a “request.” The multitudes surrounding God’s throne are not giving requests but giving worship and praise.
• I love Psalm 103 where David taught us to “bless His holy name.” and "Never forget all of His benefits." He lists 5 benefits (forgiveness, healing, rescue, favor, and blessings) and all of them are tied to a specific covenant Name - Our Heavenly Father, His only begotten son, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
2. “Your Kingdom Come…Your Will Be Done”: (CONSECRATION)
• After a few minutes of worship, I declare my “surrender.” To “consecrate” is to set apart anything (body, mind, spirit, career, finances, family, etc.) to God’s exclusive use.
• Daily, I pray for God to “ADVANCE HIS KINGDOM” through me. I surrender my entire life to His exclusive use like Jesus did in Gethsemane: “Not my will, but yours be done.”
3. “Give Us Today Our Daily Bread”: (SUPPLICATION)
• AFTER praying both of the above, I am ready to tell God my “needs.” Worship Him first, surrender to His will, then ask whatever you need to fulfill that purpose!
• “Supplication” is to express a need to God: food, clothing, bills, transportation, etc. He provided for 3 million Israelites in the desert! He WANTS YOU to have whatever you need to advance His glorious Kingdom. Just be sure your request is very specific, not general…or you may only get a general answer!
4. “Forgive Us Our Debts As We Forgive Our Debtors…”: (INTERCESSION)
• Daniel was a great “intercessor.” In Daniel 9, he prayed 15 verses of asking God to forgive Israel. An essential component of Intercession is talking to God about people - when you stand in the gap between an offended God and an offensive person.
• It’s almost impossible to hold a grudge against someone who you are asking God to be merciful to.
5. “Lead Us Not Into Temptation, Deliver Us From Evil”: (PROTECTION)
• Satan’s kingdom is real. The temptations we face originate in Satan, not God. Every day, I put on the “whole armor of God” to stand firmly against every attack of the enemy (Ephesians 6).
• Pray daily for your city, state, and nation. Pray against attacks upon your family, business, and health.
I like to see these as the 5 "fingers" in the hand of God. It’s the “template” Jesus taught us. Every day this week, pray through these five things and watch God’s hand move on your behalf!
Please leave comments below. It's great to know what your thinking. Leave questions also. Let's keep the conversation going.
BY Mike Byrum
Pastor Mike assists in directing IMPACT under the supervision of the Pastors Alliance for County Transformation