As we were sleeping last night the Lamb of God was suffering for us. The weight of sin was crushing his to the point of death, he stood falsely convicted to death in the kangaroo courts of the Sanhedrin and Pilate, he endured beatings and his flesh being torn from his body by Roman tools of torture.
Today, as we awake, he carries his cross toward Golgotha. Soon, Jesus will be crucified and lifted up. He will hang from his death stake for six hours until 3 o’clock this afternoon. He is suffering for our transgressions.
Good Friday Chronological Events:
– The betrayal: Mat 26:47-56; Mar 14:43-52; Luk 22:47-53; Jhn 18:2-11
– Christ before Annas and Caiaphas. Peter’s denial: Mat 26:57, 58, 69-75; Mar 14:53, 54, 66-72; Luk 22:54-65; Jhn 18:12-27
– Christ before the Sanhedrin: Mat 26:59-68; Mar 14:55-65; Luk 22:66-71
– Christ before Pilate: Mat 27:1, 2, 11-14; Mar 15:1-5; Luk 23:1-6; Jhn 18:12-28
– The traitor’s death: Mat 27:3-10
– Christ before Herod: Luk 23:7-12
– Accusation and condemnation: Mat 27:15-26; Mar 15:6-15; Luk 23:13-25; Jhn 18:29; 19:16
– Treatment by the soldiers: Mat 27:27-31; Mar 15:16-20; Luk 23:36,37; Jhn 19:1-3
– The crucifixion: Mat 27:32-38; Mar 15:21-28; Luk 23:26-34; Jhn 19:17-24
– The mother of Jesus at the cross: Jhn 19:25-27
– Mockings and railings: Mat 27:39-44; Mar 15:29-32; Luk 23:35-39
– The penitent malefactor: Luk 23:40-43
– The death of Christ: Mat 27:50; Mar 15:37; Luk 23:46; 19:28-30
– Darkness and other portents: Mat 27:45-53; Mar 15:33-38; Luk 23:44,45
– The bystanders: Mat 27:54-56; Mar 15:39-41; Luk 23:47-49
– The side pierced: Jhn 19:31-37
– The burial: Mat 27:57-61; Mar 15:42-47; Luk 23:50-56; Jhn 19:38-42
– The guard of the sepulchre: Mat 27:62-66; 28:11-15
I hope you take the time today to read through the events of Covenant Thursday. So many wonderful things!
Jesus established the New Covenant, New Commandment, Communion of the Saints, Servant leadership, the promise of the Holy Spirit, and so much more.
I encourage you to take advantage of your church’s worship tonight.
If there is nothing planned at your church, then schedule time around your own dinner table tonight and experience the plethora of emotions of the first disciples as they walked with Jesus through the fulfillment of age old prophecies.
Here you go!
Just click on the verses and get instant access to the scriptures.
– Paschal supper: Mat 26:17-30; Mar 14:12-26; Luk 22:7-23; Jhn 13:1-35
– Contention of the apostles: Luk 22:24-30
– Peter’s fall foretold: Mat 26:31-35; Mar 14:27-31; Luk 22:31-39; Jhn 13:36-38
– Last discourse. The departure. The Comforter: Jhn 14:1-31
– The vine and the branches. Abiding in love: Jhn 15:1-27
– Work of the Comforter in the disciples: Jhn 16:1-33
– The prayer of Christ for them: Jhn 17:1-26
– Gethsemane: Mat 26:36-46; Mar 14:32-42; Luk 22:40-46; Jhn 18:1
Don't forget to leave a comment below.
Jesus’ Last Words Cont…
Yesterday, I wrote of the importance of last words and emphasized the importance of knowing, understanding and aligning our lives to Jesus’ teaching during his last week of earthly ministry. The bible way to put it is “remember and observe.”
This day, nearly two millennia ago, much of Jesus’ final teaching focused on the final days prior to his second coming. As he was prophesying his vicarious death, he was also prophesying his imminent return from glory. How cool!
Jesus gives us multiply parables, warnings and signs so that we might be prepared and not be caught unaware. I hope you benefit from digging into the Word of Life today.
Here we go!
Holy Week: Wednesday
– The widow’s mite: Mar 12:41-44; Luk 21:1-4
– Christ’s second coming foretold: Mat 24:1-51; Mar 13:1-37; Luk 21:5-36
– Parable of the ten virgins: Mat 25:1-13
– The last judgment: Mat 25:31-46
– Greeks visit Jesus. Voice from heaven: Jhn 12:20-36
– The judgment of unbelief: Jhn 12:37-50
– Last Passover. Conspiracy of Jews: Mat 26:1-5; Mar 14:1,2; Luk 22:1,2
– Judas Iscariot: Mat 26:14-16; Mar 14:10, 11; Luk 22:3-6
Please Leave any insights in the comment section below.